About Us: At AsylumConnect, we use technology to connect persecuted and marginalized LGBTQ+ people with verified safe services and support. We are a tech nonprofit providing the first ever digital resource platform for LGBTQ+ asylum. Since 2016, our free resource website and mobile app has connected over 11,000 unique users to verified safe LGBTQ-and immigrant-friendly services in the U.S. When AsylumConnect reaches scale, there should never be a time when someone does not know where it is safe to go for help due to their LGBTQ+ identity or immigration status.
About You: We’re looking for a collaborative and experienced tech lead to join our remote team part-time. As AsylumConnect’s tech lead, you will be responsible for both technical project management and coding. This is an exciting opportunity to serve as the technical lead for the AsylumConnect Catalog (our flagship product, the first ever resource website and app designed for LGBTQ+ asylum). This is an essential position and a fantastic opportunity for anyone with technical project management experience, excellent communication skills, and strong knowledge of web and mobile application development.
Technical Project Management (50%):
- Screen, vet, and onboard new volunteer developers.
- Manage and oversee the work of our volunteer developers to efficiently complete technical projects, including planning biweekly sprints, delegating tasks and creating clear milestones.
- Collaborate with our volunteer UX designers to develop and deploy new features, and ensure a positive user experience across products.
- Lead our web and mobile application development.
- Write code to maintain server-side logic, manage the application database, and add new features.
- Plan for future changes to our website, web application and mobile application.
- Work to quickly fix any technical bugs as they arise.
- Python / Flask
- React Native
- You are comfortable working remotely.
- Previous experience with web and mobile application development.
- Previous technical product management experience strongly preferred.
- Excellent communication skills required. (We’re looking for a strong leader and team player!)
- Familiarity with code versioning tools (GitHub), Flask, Heroku, SQL, Redis, User Authentication, User Security.
- Proficient knowledge of AWS.
- Proficient in modern web frameworks such as React.
- Fluent in online communication and project management tools, such as: G Suite, Trello, Slack, Zoom and Asana.
- Passion for LGBTQ+ and/or immigrant rights.
Schedule & Compensation: Target start date: January 6, 2020 (including a two-week trial period). $20 per hour for 15 hours per week.
*Please include a link to your GitHub with your application.