- Verification (safety): all direct service providers listed on AsylumConnect are vetted (and re-verified at least once every 6 months) by trained volunteers to be welcoming to LGBTQ+ asylum seekers and other LGBTQ+ people fleeing persecution (learn more about our vetting process)
- Accessible: AsylumConnect is available as a free website and on mobile (via a mobile-responsive web app and native iOS and Android mobile apps)
- Translation: available in native English and over 100 additional languages on-demand via Google Translate (the AsylumConnect team is in the process of adding native Spanish translations to the platform for the US and Mexico in 2021)
- Anonymity: designed to protect users’ confidentiality and privacy online
- Search filters: users can easily filter out services that require specific documentation (such as medical insurance, proof of age/income/residence, or a referral) to access
- Public ratings and reviews: once logged-in, users can share public ratings (one to five stars) and written reviews on all resources
- Save and share resources: once logged-in, users can also save and share their personalized resource list(s) via print, email or another AsylumConnect user account
- Public resource submissions: once logged-in, users can “suggest” new direct service providers in the US, Canada and Mexico that they think might be a fit for our platform via country-specific “Suggest New Resource” forms
- Ownership over their own listing (service providers): direct service providers who register for a free user account can also “claim” their organization’s live profile page on AsylumConnect to help keep their organization’s information up-to-date, 24/7
We use technology to instantly match LGBTQ+ people fleeing persecution with verified safe legal, medical, mental health and social services that can help.
The AsylumConnect platform has matched thousands of LGBTQ+ people fleeing persecution with vetted affirming legal, medical, mental health and social services.
TOTAL: Since launching in 2016, our free web and mobile platform has made 75,000+ matches between LGBTQ+ people fleeing persecution and vetted affirming services that can help
SERVICE AREA COVERAGE
The full AsylumConnect web and mobile platform is currently available in 38 U.S. states, Canada and Mexico. We also offer a translated international resource page for LGBTQ+ asylum seekers and refugees who are outside of these countries and still in transit.
TOTAL: The AsylumConnect platform currently lists 1,200+ organizations and 4,500+ services vetted by our trained volunteers to be welcoming to LGBTQ+ asylum seekers and other LGBTQ+ people fleeing persecution
WHAT TYPES OF VERIFIED SERVICES ARE LISTED ON THE ASYLUMCONNECT PLATFORM?
Most common verified service categories: Mental Health, Legal, Medical, Community Support, Education & Employment, Housing
UNITED STATES (AT THE END OF 2020)
CANADA (AT THE END OF 2020)
MEXICO (AT THE END OF 2020)
“Thank you so much. I was trying to gather information such as yours, but this is the most comprehensive I have ever read.” — LGBTQ+ asylum seeker
“It’s wonderful to see AsylumConnect continue to thrive. I will be needing it now more than ever. A huge thanks to AsylumConnect for all the work and advocacy you are doing for us; especially a time like this.” — LGBTQ+ asylum seeker
“If AsylumConnect had existed when I was applying for asylum it would have made my life much easier. AsylumConnect’s work truly saves lives. I was homeless for about three years because I could not find services for undocumented lesbians, work, or anyone who could explain to me how the immigration process work[ed] and what my options were.” — LGBTQ+ asylee
“My office is glad to learn that AsylumConnect exists. So many asylum-seekers don’t know where to turn & worry that ‘help’ will discriminate.” — Asylum attorney focused on LGBT/SOGI claims
“I’m so excited about AsylumConnect’s work. It’s exactly what’s needed. We have people getting on trains to reach us when we can’t help more people or people who need help in other parts of the country, we can use the AsylumConnect Catalog to tell them where it is safe to go.” — Nonprofit user
“The AsylumConnect Catalog is easy to use, and has a lot of helpful information for asylum seekers in one place.” — Nonprofit user
*Prior to inclusion in our free resource website and mobile app, AsylumConnect’s trained volunteers verify that each direct service provider is: 1) active and legitimate, 2) LGBTQ+ friendly, and 3) accessible to asylum seekers and the undocumented community. Our trained volunteers/interns also re-verify each service provider listed on the platform at least once every 6 months for maximum user safety and data quality control.